The European Tertiary Education Register (ETER) data for 2017, 2018 and 2019 are now available online.
With this release, ETER now provides longitudinal data for the period 2011-2019; this allows examining changes over time in European higher education. The ETER perimeter now covers all 27 European Union member states, EEA-EFTA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland), and candidate countries (Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, the Republic of North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey), as well as Holy See and Andorra, and the UK for a total of 41 countries.
For almost all countries included in the ETER perimeter, data for 2017-2019 is already available online:
ETER is a database that provides a core set of data on Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) delivering degrees at the tertiary level in Europe. It includes descriptive information, such as legal status and foundation year, geographical information, students and graduates, personnel, HEI expenditures, research activities, as well as a set of pre-defined indicators characterising relevant dimensions of HEI activities, like the extent of subject specialisation, international mobility, or gender balance.
The new release includes several additional data and indicators to improve the ETER dataset further:
- Mode of Study
- Age of Students
- Teaching and Research Assistants
- Quality Assurance Indicators
Substantially more data than ever before is available for several countries, including:
- Belgium: Addition of the Walloon Region
- France: Significantly improved data (including for the first-time personnel data)
- Denmark: Addition of financial data and the field of study for students data and graduates (incl. PhD students)
- Iceland: Addition of financial and personnel data for some institutions, total numbers and gender breakdown now available for students, graduates and doctoral researchers
- Albania: Addition of Students (incl. PhD students) by citizenship and close to complete data on graduates
- Data for Andorra and Kosovo is available for the first time.
- The addition of Bosnia-Herzegovina, the Republic of North Macedonia and Montenegro is currently ongoing and will be released soon.
Key Facts about ETER:
3,439 Higher Education Institutions
9 Years of data: 2011 (2011/2012) - 2019 (2019/2020)
25.07 m Undergraduate Students (2019/2020)
0.75 m PhD Students (2019/2020)
1.62 m Academic Personnel (2019/2020)
1200+ Registered Users
98+ Publications using ETER